Friday, August 19, 2011

So Alaska is like...... an untouched wilderness. It truly is the last frontier. Driving along it's one and only highway, one tends to feel really small. Picture huge jutting mountains shooting up out of the ocean with very little beach front property. Picture these mountains being covered with a dark soft green velvet, with the occasional aquamarine gem nestled into the crevices of most mountain tops. These gems are so beautiful and ominous as you realize the ice has been situated there for an undetermined amount of time.



Do you ever feel there are too few words to describe a sight, or a feeling? It doesn't happen to me often, but I have been frozen in my tracks a few times since arriving here. You all may think... just wait until winter. Possibly you are right, but for the moment, I feel lucky and blessed to be here.
My husband woke one morning with the thought hanging on his lips...."Could you ever imagine a place more suited to you and I?" No, really I could not. It is in this that I will express my gratitude in a Supreme being who understands us better than we do ourselves. I am not so naive as to assume this will always be the land of "milk and honey" for us. Problems will arise I am sure, but I doubt it will have much to do with changing the huge sense of awe I feel in being in this incredible state.


I am not a photographer.....no justification, I am not. Not even a good camera will help me or
for that matter, hold my interest. So for the few pictures I post here, please bear with me. You are seeing a limited perspective because of the lack of skill I have.

These few photos show some of the beginning discoveries we are making here in the first month of living here. As I get better at this blog thing, I may post pictures of the past to illustrate in some of the stories I have to share.



3 comments:

  1. yay! i am so glad i can keep up with your life in alaska!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make it sound so beautiful! I'm so excited you started a blog so I can keep up with you. Mine is jasonbridiwaite.blogspot.com if you're interested. Miss you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are doing this! Have fun with it:) Blogs are such a fun way to document your family and such a fun way to keep in touch with friends! I hope you update this often.

    ReplyDelete